Some Texas-Sized Facts
- Texas is a national leader in wind energy. With our very own state power grid, Texas generated 18% of its energy from wind and solar in 2017.
- Texas is #1 in the US for installed and under-construction wind capacity.
- Texas is responsible for ¼ of the total installed wind power generating capacity in the United States.
- Georgetown, Texas is the largest city in the United States powered entirely by renewable energy.
- According to the EPA, Houston is the #1 municipal user of green energy, and Dallas is #2.
- In 2017 the city of Houston used nearly 1 billion kilowatt-hours of renewable energy, accounting for 85% of total energy consumption needs.
- The state of Texas boasted more than 43 million square feet of LEED-certified space in 2017, 12 highest in the nation.
- Dallas is working toward creating the largest urban park in the US, planned to be 11 times larger than NYC’s Central Park.
- The Armand Bayou Nature Center, south of Houston, is currently the largest urban wilderness preserve in the United States, comprising 2,500 acres of wetlands, marshes, and prairies.
Texas Green Communities
Power of Texas supports our communities, and their fantastic green initiatives.
Facts and Stats
“The EPA's Green Power Partnership hailed the City of Houston as the No.1 municipal purchaser of green power in the nation and a crucial leader in the alternative energy trend – with 25% of the City of Houston's total electricity purchased from wind energy. Also, Houston was named one of the 10 greenest cities in the U.S. by causes.com in 2013."
How Texans are Cultivating the Outdoors
- Native Landscapes
- Community Gardens
- Get Involved
Cleaning and Recycling Events